What is a styled shoot?
A styled shoot is a planned photoshoot of (for me) invitations and other event materials and stationery that go along with the invites. They can include flowers, streamers, stamps, pretty tableware, anything to make the photo pop and make the stationery stand out! My favorite thing to style is a wedding suite.
I love seeing the invitation, envelope, wax seals, RSVP cards, bouquets, monograms and more all come together!
Recently, Blakeney Cox, my super talented photographer bff, did a quick styled shoot of wedding suites, baby shower invites, graduation announcements, and Christmas cards. I’d love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and what y’all love to see! We are planning a bigger and better one in the near future, and I would love to know what your favorites are.
Check out the pics below!
Hey teacher ladies! Holly Rivers is hosting a night of learning the basics of drawing for anchor charts and other projects taught by SarahOMaryDesigns! The class will be on Monday, October 15th from 6pm – 7pm at $22 per person. Feel free to BYOB/W, BYOsnacks, dinner, waters etc. Also, if you have anything specific you’d like me to cover, let me know!! Can’t wait to see you ladies on Monday, October 15th!
Sign up below, and include your name!
Teacher How-To Class
Kids’ birthdays, office parties, ladies’ night out (or men!)—any occasion you can think of, now you have a place to celebrate! SOD Studio will now be offering party space for craft classes. We have a list of classes that are available, or if you have a specific idea we can always accommodate! Classes start at $20 per person and vary with each class. Adult classes will be B.Y.O.Beer/Wine, cups, and food unless there is a special event. For children’s classes or parties, you will also need to provide food & drink, plates & cups, decorations etc. We provide the fun!! Check out photos at the bottom for pics of past classes. More to come!!
Grab at least* 4 of your closest friends, and start booking your event now! Here are a few options:
- Alcohol Ink Class – For kids and adults. Kids $20—will do a “stained glass” project, frame for artwork included. Adults $25—will create 4-5 ceramic coasters. Listed first because it is my favorite & a customer favorite!!
- Canvas Banner Class – For kids and adults $25—make seasonal and/or custom designs to hang in your bedroom, home, office etc.
- Wooden Angel Class – For kids and adults $20—paint acrylic angel or cross on reclaimed bead board.
- Acrylic Pouring Class – Adults Only $40—Create your own one of a kind acrylic pour on a 6×6 stretched canvas. This is a messy class, plan accordingly!
- Christmas Ornament Class – Adults only $20-30—paint beautiful patterns onto 4 to 8 clear, glass ornaments. Perfect for gifts or yourself, available to customize with monogram, name etc.
- Seasonal Watercolor Wreath – Adults only $28—learn watercolor techniques and even get to bring home some supplies. Watercolor paint on 6×6 stretched canvas.
*minimum of 5 people, maximum of 22 – some supplies takes up to 2 weeks to arrive.
While y’all are patiently awaiting updates (or moving on with your lives without giving it a single thought) about the #SOD studio, I decided to compile a small list of artist that inspire me in the Instagram world. Some of these women* I have met in person, been along side in shows, taken classes from, or just admire from afar and am totally jealous of their lives.
*I follow many man-artists too. Their styles are just very different from my own and this particular list focuses on artists I resonate with in style and inspiration.
In no particular order:
1. Riley Sheehey: Watercolor GENIUS, pattern GENIUS, adorable love story, fluffy dog. I love Riley’s work so much! It is just very dainty, colorful and one of a kind. On her instagram highlights @cestriley she offers free phone backgrounds which I use errrday. We’re talking one with Rosé and Chinese take out. One with cute girls walking cute dogs. One with Corona’s limes and drink umbrellas. One with Cabernet and goldfish. It’s like she combines all your fave guilty pleasures into one weird and adorable world.
Obviously the frenchie doing yoga is my all time favorite. —ok, go check her out.
2. Jennifer Vallez: Jennifer is the reason that I began watercolor portraits. I was always enamored by her talent and the cute way she featured details so accurately. I stumbled upon her instagram in 2014, and since then the portraits I painted were done with her in mind. I still swoon over her posts, her girl-power mind, and her fame! To top it off, her daughters are little miss-independent artists too (and way better dressed than me)!
3. Jayne Morgan: First of all anybody that had the opportunity and skills to attend SCAD for college—jealouuusssss. Jayne’s “thing” is painting honeybears. She told when I attended one of her classes (thanks, Martin) that her teacher told them to choose something she wouldn’t get tired of painting, and I think she chose wisely. She resides in Birmingham, AL and I’ve looked up to her for some time now. I remember going to her studio where she taught after school art classes and thinking, “I’ve got to do this.” In addition to honeybears, she also paints beautiful florals, assorted condiments and bottles that belong in your house, and adorable air streams! Here is Jayne’s instagram @jaynemorganart give her a follow!
Pictured is the painting I did while attending her class.
4. Beck Jones: I discovered Beck Jones through one of my best friends who ordered one of her paintings. I saw it in person and made it my mission to figure out how she got those beautiful swirling colors onto the canvas and then managed to top it off with flawless resin with zero bubbles, no bug wings stuck in it, no sticky places. After a thorough Instagram stalking way back when, I realized more and more that I could totally be an artist for a living. Later we because cyber friends, we were vendors in the same Spring show and actually got to meet in person. I always feel slightly creepy when I meet my Instagram artist friends, because I’m like omg can’t wait to see that pretty painting you made on October 4, 2015 at 2:29pm……Ok it’s not that creepy. You won’t regret pressing that follow button on this Fairhope, Alabama based artist, @beckjonesart
Here are a few more to check out as well!
–@harriet_lowther Illustrations of Dogs
–@littlehouseart My college-friend’s mom! Her attention to details is AMAZING, y’all.
–@thegingerbites art. on. cookies. I repeat, ART. ON. COOKIES!
Enjoy these talented ladies!! The end.
Hey guys!! After speaking with a handful of moms and dads, I have come up with a *tentative* schedule for the after-school classes I will now be offering! Here is the flyer below…. keep reading for a little more info. |SIGN UP AT BOTTOM|
There will be orientation for both groups on September 13th at 4pm. On this day (or before if you’re really feeling on the ball) your child’s supply fee of $20 will be due. You can ask any questions that you may have as well as get to know myself and fellow young artists! Feel free to pay for your whole semester, month of September, or as many classes as you can up front—this helps me with extra supplies your child might need for each class, for me to provide snacks and drinks, and to keep the lights on so we can keep having a good time while learning!
I feel very passionately about teaching your child art techniques, not just how to craft a quick macaroni picture frame to occupy them for an hour. This class will be so great for any child already interested in creativity or any child/parent looking to broaden his or her horizons.
At the end of the semester, there will be an ART SHOW! Judges, ribbons, refreshments and all. This was my favorite part of my art classes when I was younger because I got to see which areas I was strong in and what I needed to keep working on. All of my art class experiences as a child and young adult shaped me to be able to be an artist as a CAREER which I never thought was an option.
I look forward to meeting all of your little people. There are only 15 spots for each class each semester, so please sign up NOW if you’d like to join SOD in September!
Here is the aforementioned *tentative* schedule…
Sign up here!
The first 15 children’s in each class will get a spot. Once they’re both full, I will email the parents of each of the first 15 students in each class to let you know. If anyone backs out, the next person in line will get the spot!
Thanks for joining me!
I’m indifferent about blog posts, as I don’t think anybody really cares where I went on vacation or how to make my mac & cheese. However I created this site to be a central place for all things #SOD. That means, but is not limited to, Past, Present & Future Classes, Dog Everything (mine, RUFF‘s, yours if it’s cute and I come in contact with it), How-To’s (if I am feeling froggy), Other Artists That I Like (shoutout Little Red Arrow Photography), and more!
Mostly I created this site to announce that #SarahOMaryDesigns now has a STUDIO SPACE! WHAT! It’s been a dream of mine since I decided to become an artist as a career (sorry Mom, Dad, Martin, and any other individual that has had to help me with shows, displays or pay for my well-being). I will be located in Downtown Jasper in the strip where Gina Scruggs’s State Farm Agency lives and across from Twisted Barley Brewing Company!
My vision is for me to have a place to meet with brides and other clients that I design detailed invitations and other event materials for, for me to teach after school art classes to kids so that they know art as a career is a REAL thing, and to have a dedicated space to work on art and commissioned projects that I hold as near to my heart as my clients do to theirs.
I have quite a lot of work to do before I am up and running downtown, but please stay tuned for upcoming events and a grand opening!
Here’s a *BEFORE* pic for your wandering eyes.